There are eight stages to a genocide, according to Gregory H. Stanton, and for each of those stages, there is a range of ways to battle the hate that feeds genocidal mass murder. Today I want to touch on these antidotes to hate but please review Stanton’s Genocide Watch paper (hyperlink above) if you’re interested in learning more.
A List of Ways to Fight Genocide:
- Promote mixed categories and actively campaign against ethnic classifications.
- Forbid or make insignificant the use of hate symbols and ethnic classification words.
- Expose and shut down hate groups and instances of hate speech by necessary means.
- Organizations that commit genocide should illegal; members should be arrested and tried and they should be banned from the international community.
- Fight polarization by providing financial and technical aid to the moderate center.
- If symbolic markers are imposed to make the killing process efficient, a Genocide Watch needs to be declared. Safe areas need to be formed with real military protection.
- Once underway, extermination can only be stopped by force.
- To overcome denial (the final stage of genocide) requires public trials, truth commissions, and years of education. Impunity must be a thing of the past.